Old 01-30-2007, 11:51 PM   #241
Birdy
1st Leg of the Journey

Yes, that hand sounds terrible!

I realize this might be a wrong thing to say on a thread about yarn stashes that is this long and clearly dedicated to the "bondage to the stash" movement...

but I have a different approach to dealing with my stash.

I used to work in a Nursing home, and I simply give huge portions of my stash to the Resident's there. Now this is usually stuff that I was gifted from someone giving up on yarn working... and of no emotional value to me.

Yet... it does bring me great joy as those ladies are ever so grateful. And, the last time I must have brought 3 large black garbage bags full of centre pull wound yarn oddities... and got a phone call 3 month's later that they had used it all up!

Just a suggestion, please don't stone me! [let's just say I am new to the proper knitter thoughts as I am a lone needler until now :D]

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-31-2007, 01:25 AM   #242
misha rf

AAAGH! Oh, Toby, that sucks! Good thing your dog is so cute, eh?

I can't tell you if it's easier to knit thinner yarn on smaller needles. I've only recently started doing that, and I'm totally uncoordinated, so I find thicker yarn & bigger needles easier.

Roberta, that's a lovely idea. I can't see how that violates any rules. Someone else is going to use it. (If I decide I don't like a yarn--can't figure out what to do with it, etc.--I send it to my little sister. She's a fantastic knitter on a tight budget.)
Old 01-31-2007, 06:42 AM   #243
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,897 Times in 3,018 Posts
Hi Roberta!

I think some of us STASHIES decided that is is OKAY to de-stash by one of two means: either knit it, or give it someone who will knit it!

Donated yarn...we think that is a worthy cause that deserves DOUBLE CREDIT! It is soooo hard to give up yarn...and generously donating it to people who cannot otherwise afford to purchase it...well that is just wonderful!

Our Hats are off to you Roberta!

I hope you return to this thread and can feel our applause!

I'm Artlady at:
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:12 AM   #244
temergency
Ribbing the Cuff

Ok, I'm in!
I haven't been on the site in a while because I'm trying to finish up projects so I guess I became a STASHIE without knowing it!!! I also have totes of yarn in the shed that I forget about. My DB has told me that I can have 1 basket behind my chair and my grandmothers knitting stand/bag in the house but that's it!!! Of course both are full and I have a tote back full of patterns but I'm trying! I've decided to get to the totes and empty them. My DB's mother has a friend who belongs to a circle of ladies who knit for hospitals, soldiers, safe homes, etc. Most of the yarn in the totes is acrylic which I don't use anymore so it might as well go to a good use and give me room in the shed for my extra purses (next project!!!)

I just bought a spinning wheel and have about 3 lbs of fleece to spin plus another 4 lbs coming. Am I over my head.....

I tell DB it could be worse, I could be a barfly or a mall shopper! He just pours another beer and goes out and hangs with our ducks!!!! Oh, and he is making room for the angora rabbit he said I could get!!!

Ok, time to go to work....everyone have a great day!
Old 01-31-2007, 12:26 PM   #245
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

It has to be 100% wool to felt. What about removing the straps all together and grafting on something else?
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:30 PM   #246
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Originally Posted by CarmenIbanez
It has to be 100% wool to felt. What about removing the straps all together and grafting on something else?
What I'll probably do is pull it in on the sides (what Artlady suggested) and remove the straps. I agree that it needs something shorter. The straps have definitely got to be non-stretchy things.

But, I hung it back up in the closet for now. I'm focused on socks at the moment. No more looking at the HUMONGOUS bag!

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:31 PM   #247
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Here are some of my FOs...

After knitting my father, FIL, and my dh a pair of socks I will not be doing a pair for men in a loooooooong time...

Enterlac Scarf used Patons SWS in Natural Earth.. I used 3 skeins but if I had a store close to me that sold it I would have ran out for one more skein... I haven't blocked it yet... I did add fringe but not sure I'm going to keep it so just posted the photo I had with no fringe...

Now starting a pair of socks for MYSELF .. since sock yarn is what I have the most of right now...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	jd_sock_kh.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	35847  Click image for larger version

Name:	enterlac_kh.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	35848  

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:36 PM   #248
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
The scarf is beautiful! I love the colors and the pattern!

GREAT job!

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:41 PM   #249
Mrs. Columbo

OOOOH WOW WHAT A SCARF!!

What is Enterlac? A fellow in our meetup group who also works at a YS, said he was doing a type of scarf that is twisted and knit in the round, I couldn't exactly follow him but he said "you'll be doing one before long!" .. heck I can't even get my BLANKIE off the ground!! Could he have been talking about Enterlac??

Wow, it's beautiful. LOVE the colors. Great socks too by the way (coming from someone who has no clue about socks but probably could knit and nice long narrow tube)

Toby
Old 01-31-2007, 12:48 PM   #250
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Thank you very much...

I also wanted to add that everyone's FO look wonderful and auburn chick I agree I think if you changed the handle it would work... at wal-mart they did sell all types of purse handles.. I'm sure Joanns or Michaels would too... wal-mart is all I have

The Scarf is from knitty I had started it a while back but wasn't doing very well with it because I had to keep changing my yarns... I had ordered 2 different colorways of SWS from Joanns and after knitting a hat with the Gernaium I knew what Earth wanted to be my Danica
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTdanica.html

Mrs.Columbo, I wonder if he is doing a Mobeius scarf? cause it does have a twist and knit in the round.. this is knit flat but you do turn to create the pattern...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote