Old 02-26-2007, 12:14 PM   #481
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Originally Posted by ArtLady1981
Me and Madametj have been sending PMs to our Stash Sisters...to let y'all know that the Mod Squad moved our thread to Knit-Alongs yesterday.

Thanks to all of you who also brought it to our attention in the first place!

Thanks to both you you!!!

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-26-2007, 04:46 PM   #482
Mrs. Columbo

Hey ArtLady,

I want to make your baby blanket from the Microspun as our Michaels just started carrying it .. I see yours is quite big and used 16 balls .. unfortunately all I could get in the Lilac color was six balls and they haven't had any more come in ... how can I do the same pattern in a smaller scale and using 8.0 needles? I don't have any 10's (sent them to my mom to use for the Red Scarf Project) .. unless I could travel to another Michaels and check their shelves ... hmm.

Toby (no good with math)
Old 02-26-2007, 05:56 PM   #483
heykaren
Knitting the Flap

I want to go to Michaelīs..... ( no Michaelīs here in Spain... )

Well, after thinking long and hard, I have decided to make an afghan with my 6 skeins of Homespun! I had wanted to make a sweater with it, but after reading otherīs difficulties with it, went searching for an afghan pattern. Iīm mixing it with a pumpkin colored Dacron ( bought it cheap at a dollar shop when I first started knitting last year ). I was a bit worried that I might not have enough of the Dacron, but when I went upstairs this afternoon to pick up more skeins from my stash, I realized that I had 2 balls more than I thought - so I should have enough of both to finish a sofa sized throw!!!!!! That will make a big reduction in my stash!!!! ( IĻm saving yarn points for now - donīt want to buy any more yarn - well except some to try some socks..... )

Iīm thinking of "lining" the afghan with some flannel - has anyone done this - is it do-able?

Karen

heykaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:14 PM   #484
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,897 Times in 3,018 Posts
Hi Toby!

My baby blanket took 16 balls and 10.5 needles because of using double strand.

I think you could get by with 8 balls on size 8's.

Do this as a "check": Weigh the skein...like on a postage or Weight Watchers scale...take note of the grams...and begin your blanket. When you have knit 1/2 of that skein...measure how much length you get from it...and multiply those inches by 16. That will be about the final length of the blanket using all 8 skeins.

If you don't want to knit 1/2 the skein as a trial: knit 1/4...then multiply the length by 32.

Anyway, doesn't MIcrospun call for US 8 needles anyway, just about?

It will be lovely using single strand...mine was very very thick, like a crib blanket. But, I have oooooodles of Stash to get rid of.

Yours may be more like a swaddling baby blanket! I am sure it will be really really nice! Keep us Posted with photos!

PS: if at all possible...use Addis or Crystal Palace bamboo needles. The tips are blunter. MicroSpun is known to be "splitty". You'll go nuts. I am OCD when it comes to perfect stitches. I cannot abide split yarn. I gotta go back or go down and fix it. With Addis or bamboos, you will hardly get a split.

I'm Artlady at:
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:30 PM   #485
Mrs. Columbo

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981

Anyway, doesn't MIcrospun call for US 8 needles anyway, just about?

PS: if at all possible...use Addis or Crystal Palace bamboo needles. The tips are blunter. MicroSpun is known to be "splitty". You'll go nuts. I am OCD when it comes to perfect stitches. I cannot abide split yarn. I gotta go back or go down and fix it. With Addis or bamboos, you will hardly get a split.

Actually this says US 4 or 3.5 mm ... wonder if it's the same. This looks very thin .. soft but thin .. the balls are small 2.5 oz ...

Aggh .. I hate splitty yarn ... I do have two pair of Addis and a pair of 8mm Crystal Palace bamboos ....

Thanks much
Toby
Old 02-26-2007, 07:16 PM   #486
Mulderknitter
Working the Gusset

thought I would post a few fo's and wips so I don't get kicked out of the group!
I finished this scarf a few months ago. it was the first time I had tried Malabrigo and I loved it! It's lopi lace scarf from Weekend Knitting.

And this is the first clog I just finished yesterday, and cast on right away for the 2nd, was feeling a bit of second clog syndrome!

I just hope they turn out ok!
Oddball Pet Snuggles
I am Mulderknitter on Ravelry, add me to your friends!

My Blog
http://susanknitsandwrites.blogspot.com/
Add me to your faves and leave a comment, I love comments!
Mulderknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #487
BostonBecca
Turning the Heel

Thanks for the welcome!
I got more yarn in the mail today! However, it is all destined for specific projects, and was ordered before I joined so I didn't break any rules. Whew. The finished projects look great! I am working on mine, and my last spring break ever(in final semester of law school) is coming up so I should get lots of knitting time then!

KnittingDefender on Ravelry.

BostonBecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:53 PM   #488
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,897 Times in 3,018 Posts
Hey there Mulder! Nice job! Your knitting is beautiful! Waay to go...and stay in touch! Post photos of WIP's to encourage us! Sometimes a project takes so long to finish...so post photos as you go along! xxx

Hey there Toby! I think US 4 needles would be too small. I now rememb er I knit a baby kimono and blankets about 2 years ago...and used US 8. The stitch was garter.. .but no matter...I think our basketweave baby blanket will do great with US 8. Glad you have Addis and CP's on hand. I love to use KPO's...but not for splitty yarns. Aaargh.

Hi BostonBecca! WELCOME TO STASHIES! Whatever you ordered or committed to prior to joining our STASH TRAIN...is OK!

Well I finally caved in a used my NEW YARN REWARD this afternoon.
I had to order it...the shop didn't have 16 skeins in my red. BUT...I do have a cardigan pattern all set for it! I will swatch tonight, get my notes in order...and maybe allow myself to start the BACK!

I don't mind having two or three OTN projects going...especially if they are very different. For example, the Red Aran Afghan I am working on is waaaaay too cumbersome to take to knitting club, or knitting w/ friends. It has to stay home. Besides, I may a huge error on the bobbles last night when the Oscars were on. Had to frog two rows, and was fortunate to get all the stitches sorted out. 242 stitches on the row!

I have a perfectly mindless pullover OTN for when I go out. I hate the yarn...but am determined to get it done by next Fall. Usually, I finish a pullover or cardigan in 2 weeks, from the 'cast on' to the 'wearing it out the door'.

Will work on the Crazy Quilt Squares Afghan for my granddaughter this spring/summer...we have 5 weeks at our mountain property...1 in May, June, July, August, Oct. So...knitting the 7"x7" squares will be perfect for sitting in the sun with mountain breezes brushing by!

I will try to finish the Red Aran Afghan within this week...
Will begin the cardigan 'cast on' as my Reward! The yarn is Cloud 9 by Cascade. 50% wool/50%angora. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

I'm Artlady at:
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:02 PM   #489
madametj
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by heykaren
I want to go to Michaelīs..... ( no Michaelīs here in Spain... )
eh. u're not missing much. my Michaels doesnt have much that Walmart doesnt

Bust some Stash!
madametj on Ravelry (quick, go add me as your friend and I'll add you! )
madametj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:01 PM   #490
Hsiaokuo62
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Hsiaokuo62
Nice!
Very nice, Mulder!

FO: socks for DS.

OTN: Brown garter st swing sweater on hold unless we get another cold snap!xsigpic10708_3.gif.pagespeed.ic.Ims82L_-Zf.webp
Hsiaokuo62 is offline   Reply With Quote