Old 02-07-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
3kids1036
Knitting the Flap

My First Pattern Question.......
Hi guys! I am ready to try my first pattern. I want to make

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/...html?noImages=

I hope I added that link right, if not it is the Fisherman's Shrug.

I am confused about the gauge thing. The pattern says 9sts and 14 rows in ST stitch pattern (knit RS rows, prul WS rows) can someone explain that to me?

Thanks!!!!
3kids1036 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-07-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
Webigail
1st Leg of the Journey

Re: My First Pattern Question.......
Originally Posted by 3kids1036

I am confused about the gauge thing. The pattern says 9sts and 14 rows in ST stitch pattern (knit RS rows, prul WS rows) can someone explain that to me?

Thanks!!!!
I'm not exactly sure what your question is, with regards to the pattern, but if something says Knit RS - that means, "knit on right side" and purl WR means, "purl on wrong side."
Old 02-07-2007, 12:33 PM   #3
3kids1036
Knitting the Flap

Ohhhh, ok. I Think I may need to print out a list of abbreviations LOL, but what does it mean when it tells me to check my guage? I have only knitted a scarf so far....

Thanks for responding!

www.adrienneslittleworld.typepad.com
Old 02-07-2007, 12:41 PM   #4
Webigail
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by 3kids1036
Ohhhh, ok. I Think I may need to print out a list of abbreviations LOL, but what does it mean when it tells me to check my guage? I have only knitted a scarf so far....

Thanks for responding!
You definitely want to check your gauge, particularly if you're knitting something that has to fit: sweater, hat, etc.

I'm a newbie to knitting, but I took a class just this weekend; we learned how to check gauge.

You have to knit a swatch first of at least 4 inches and then determine how many stitches per inch you have. (I'm sure someone else can explain better).

So, if you see a pattern that says the gauge is 4.5, that means that there are 4.5 stitches per inch. Does this make sense?
Old 02-07-2007, 12:44 PM   #5
3kids1036
Knitting the Flap

Yes that makes plenty of sense. But I don't think the pattern tells me...unless its where it says 9 sts and 14 rows.....is that how I check my guage? Then it says 4 in.......?? lol, thanks for helping though.

www.adrienneslittleworld.typepad.com
Old 02-07-2007, 01:26 PM   #6
stefcap
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to stefcap
When you make something that is fitted (sweater, jacket, skirt, etc.) you need to check your gauge to make sure that you're knitting is the same size as the person who created the pattern. To check the gauge, you need to use the needles and yarn that you plan on using for the pattern and knit up a swatch. If it tells you X stitches and X rows = 4 inches, then knit a couple of inches larger that a 4 x 4 square. If it tells you X sts and X rows = 1 inch, then do the same, probably knit up a 4 x 4 square. You make the swatch larger because you can't get an accurate gauge measuring from the edges, so you need to measure inwards from the edges. Now you need to measure how many stitches and how many rows = either 1 inch or 4 inches (depending on what the gauge in the pattern says). If it matches perfectly than you can go ahead and start the pattern. But if it doesn't match than you need to do some math to figure out exactly how many sts and rows will give you gauge. Hope this all makes sense.

Read this article, it should help a lot:
http://www.earthguild.com/products/k...ypat/gauge.htm
Old 02-07-2007, 01:33 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,844 Times in 7,199 Posts
Quote:
GAUGE:

9 sts and 14 rows = 4 in (10 cm) in St stitch pattern (knit RS rows, purl WS rows) using size 10 needles. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE.
This means to knit up a swatch and check YOUR gauge against this one. If it's off you need to do it again with a different size needle till it matches. Make a good size swatch and check in the center of it.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote