Old 09-02-2007, 07:14 PM   #1
Sri Radha
Casting On

New to knitting...need book rec
Hi. I am new to knitting and just took my first class. We learned to cast on, knit, purl and add a stitch.

We have a pattern for a scarf. Mine is not looking like hers! Anyway, some how I get messed up after I add a stitch and I don't know why. The way she showed us is different than the way shown on the videos here.

I was wondering what is a good instructional book for beginners? Are there ways to correct mistakes? I have a hole in my scarf I am trying not to get too upset over it because it is my first project but UGH!

I am determined not to give up!!! I think that is the reason I don't know how to do a lot of things. I am very impatient with myself.

Thanks in advance! I hope to hear from some of you!
Sri Radha is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-02-2007, 07:31 PM   #2
elliebelly
Casting On

go to your library and look around at a lot of things, then get what you like best. i really like knitfix and the vogue book.

but i like the videos here better.

anything by elizabeth zimmerman is a great library addition to.

welcome to the world of knitting don't stress -- just enjoy yourself. the more you do it, the more the patterns in the knitting will emerge for you and you'll see the mistakes and how to fix them. just remember to breath and enjoy yourself!
www.hyenacart.com/elliebelly

My Blog
http://joycevance.typepad.com
elliebelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
I would reccomend one of two books, Both should be in your Lybrary
Simply Fabulous Knits - Simple basic instructions on LOTS of things, written clearly if you now the terms

OR

Marrans Illustrated Knitting and Crochetting - It has a Whole page explaining each thing (for the most part) with good pictures

Just my two favs to recomend to Newbies to this WONDERFULL addiction

back to making my Bed and cleaning my room
and need to check on the 9to who is walking the Dog / puppy.

ecb

Originally Posted by Sri Radha View Post
Hi. I am new to knitting and just took my first class. We learned to cast on, knit, purl and add a stitch.

We have a pattern for a scarf. Mine is not looking like hers! Anyway, some how I get messed up after I add a stitch and I don't know why. The way she showed us is different than the way shown on the videos here.

I was wondering what is a good instructional book for beginners? Are there ways to correct mistakes? I have a hole in my scarf I am trying not to get too upset over it because it is my first project but UGH!

I am determined not to give up!!! I think that is the reason I don't know how to do a lot of things. I am very impatient with myself.

Thanks in advance! I hope to hear from some of you!
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb

Last edited by ecb : 09-02-2007 at 07:45 PM. Reason: I cannot spell for beans
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:45 AM   #4
Sri Radha
Casting On

Thanks to both of you. The Marran's book sounds like exactly what I am looking for! I am going to look it up on Amazon!
Sri Radha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:52 AM   #5
BostonBecca
Turning the Heel

If you have a LYS around you, go there and look at all the general knitting books. The instructions and pictures can vary highly in general knitting books, and one should make more sense to you than another. Pick that one (you can always come home and buy it off amazon later). Buy some beautiful yarn at the LYS though.

KnittingDefender on Ravelry.

BostonBecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:24 AM   #6
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
Even better idea
just remember it is a lot less expensive if you price shop the books for a bit

ecb

Originally Posted by BostonBecca View Post
If you have a LYS around you, go there and look at all the general knitting books. The instructions and pictures can vary highly in general knitting books, and one should make more sense to you than another. Pick that one (you can always come home and buy it off amazon later). Buy some beautiful yarn at the LYS though.
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:25 AM   #7
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,848 Times in 1,912 Posts
I would recommend KnitFix, because it shows what stitches should look like, and helps you correct mistakes.

Also, a basic knitting encyclopedia will help too. I like having one of those, because sometimes my computer is not working, or the internet is down. A good encyclopedia is just nice to have. I use "The Complete Encyclopedia of Stitching" by Mildred Graves Ryan. I like that one, because it has directions for Knitting, Crochet, Embroidery, and Sewing. I do all three of those crafts, so the book is perfect for me.

Maybe you should go to your local library and see what they have.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:37 PM   #8
knitgal
Working the Gusset

The first knitting book I bought was Stich and Bitch by Debbie Stoller. I find the instructions are really clear and the whole book is fun to read. Another good one is The Knitting Answer Book which is my Aunt's, but that I consult all the time. It is in question form and it's really easy to find your answer. I agree with BostonBecca that one book will make more sense to you than another and you should probably go to the library or book store and just sit and read it for a while before buying. I have also heard very good things about Knitting Virtually (or Virtual Knitting?) because it has very clear pictures.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:37 PM   #9
chrislt8
Turning the Heel

I have, among others, Vogue Knitting, The Ultimate Knitting Book and this is the one I go back to over and over again when I am trying to figure something out. It also has a stitch dictionary, which I like. There are so many to choose from and each is a little better at different things. I agree that you need to look through a bunch of them to see which you instinctively respond to - as this is the one most likely to explain or show things in the way that your brain processes...
Old 09-04-2007, 09:30 AM   #10
Sanibelle
Turning the Heel

Another vote for the Vogue Knitting Book. I have a lot of books but this is the one I always go back to when I have a question or a problem.

Sanibelle is offline   Reply With Quote