Old 04-22-2008, 08:23 AM   #1
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

Slip as to knit, or purl?
Can someone tell me which way to slip this stitch- ex row one of the pattern here:
http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting.../baby/lace.htm

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Simply_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-22-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
campbellmom549
Knitting the Flap

That's a pretty pattern! The slip is part of a SKP (sl1, k1, psso). You slip it knitwise. In general, if a pattern calls for you to slip a stitch and doesn't specify, it's safe to assume they mean knitwise. If it's supposed to be purlwise they'll say so.

OTN: Sheldon the Turtle, Mom's Cashmere Gloves, Silver Bells Scarf, Globe Trotter Socks

FO Gallery
Mommy Moments
Photography by Liz

campbellmom549
campbellmom549 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to campbellmom549 For This Useful Post:
Simply_Renee (04-22-2008)
Old 04-22-2008, 10:45 AM   #3
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

a HA! I felt silly for asking this- but for some reason I thought it was completely backwards- because slipping knitwise seems to twist it.

Thanks- now I just need to find the yarn I want for this project and it's a go!

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Old 04-22-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,454 Times in 6,036 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
When a slip stitch is part of a dec (ssk, skp) you slip knitwise.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
Sheri
1st Leg of the Journey

I was always told to slip purlwise unless told to do otherwise. Like you Renee it twists the stitch ... so I'm wondering if you slip 1 at beginning of row you slip purlwise .... as suzeeq says slip knitwise if you are doing a decrease ... any other combinations or changes in the rules?
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sheri For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

Oh no, not a dissenting voice! I was willing to chalk my purlwise thinking up to me being mistaken.

So far my knitting has been fairly increase and decrease free, so I didn't even think of it that way. The baby sweater I am working on (waiting for a split harmony tip to be replaced before I can resume) had decreases, but I will have to reknit the back anyway because the decreases messed up the moss stitch pattern I was doing so the whole top part is mostly stockinette.

Now that I know about that, I can tell if I am decreasing (I was just looking at one stitch at a time on that pattern) and slip it the right way.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:48 PM   #7
Sheri
1st Leg of the Journey

The owner and some of her teachers at my LYS have told me to slip purlwise at an edge ... during knit and bitch this discussion has come up multiple times LOL .... I have made the mistake however of doing an ssk slipping purlwise and it's SLOPPY .... so I learned not to do that ... some slip the first as if to knit and second as to purl or some slip both knitwise. You'll have to decide which you like better and then try and keep consistent ... but I'm anxious to hear from some of the moderators who have knit since the dawn of time LOL .... what they like to do and what they've learned along the way.
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:26 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Quote:
but I'm anxious to hear from some of the moderators who have knit since the dawn of time LOL .... what they like to do and what they've learned along the way.
Well, maybe not since the crack of dawn... but probably before a lot of you were born.....

Anyway, I'm self taught and never did see instructions about slipping the first stitch. When I heard about it and tried it, the edges were looser and messier than just leaving them. I do pull the yarn a touch after I do the first stitch which tightens up the edges a lot. The clapotis pattern is one where you slip the first stitch, but it's not to make a chained edge, because you knit or purl front and back into it on the next row. So it doesn't make a difference and I slipped kwise on the knit row, and p wise on the purl row. You see my answer above about slipping on decreases. Slipping a st pwise when you don't do anything else with it until the next row leaves it seated correctly on the needle so you can work it without going through the back loop. When you slip it kwise, it twists unless you work tbl. So that's about all I have to say about slipping....

Old 04-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #9
gargoyle08
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to gargoyle08
I am no queen of knitting, I am quite new actually so I pay attention for this kind of details...

I heard both in knitting circles, most say to slip k wise. However, both on Lionbrand and Knitty Gritty, they said that if not specified, to sl purlwise.

When in doubt, I try to check the source of the pattern for the information (website, book). If its still not clear, I just try both on a swatch and see if I like the results.
gargoyle08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:53 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

Again, you slip purlwise normally, except if the patterns says other wise or when it's a decrease stitch.