Since I'm still learning my way around the mechanics of the site, I had no idea about putting up a sticky! Shandeh, you're great!
Thanks so much! I've enjoyed reading the hints everyone has been sending, and being able to share what I've been discovering.
This one really made my day...
I've been trying to learn to knit socks two at a time on two circulars (and I'll work on two at a time on one circ after I've untangled myself from two!).
The one thing that was so irritating about this was that the two balls of yarn had a mind of their own. I put each one in a separate zip loc bag after clipping a corner out and threading the yarn through the hole. This helped but every time I had to turn the needles I had to also flip the two bags. Being in a zip loc, too, meant that they were a bit slippery and had a tendency to fall off the sofa, etc.
Finally I took a gallon sized zip-loc bag and revved up the sewing machine. I creased the bag lengthwise down the center so I'd have a guideline then ran a row of zig-zag stitching down the center of the bag. (Straight stitch would probably just perforate the seam and weaken it, so I used the zig zag.)
You can then clip the bottom corners and thread the yarn through, or put the thread in the two compartments, draw it through the outside corners at the top and seal up only the center section. (Out the top only works if you're using a bag that doesn't have the little zipper sealer, but only the channels for sealing.)
Now when I turn the piece I only have to grab the bag by a corner and flip it over. If I flip it over the wrong way, it's simple to give it a couple more flips and I'm back on track with untangled yarn!
It eliminated an annoyance and distraction for me and I was able to concentrate on actually knitting the socks!
It occured to me that this would also work well on any project that requires more than one ball of yarn.
If you REALLY want to get fancy, or need more "pockets" for more colors you could stitch up something from fabric that will hold more (or bigger) skeins of yarn. But as a quick fix, the zip locks worked a treat!
Thanks again, Shandeh, for making this a stickey!